July 31, 2002
To: MROSD Board of Directors
From: Oscar Braun, Executive Director
Re: Comments and Questions Coastal Annexation Program: Key Facts & Draft EIR
- CEQA purpose is to inform the public and its responsible officials of the environmental consequences of their decisions before they are made. Thus the EIR protects not only the environment but also informed
- Why a Coastal Annexation Program? To provide open space and agricultural preservation and management services ? Do Coastal lands purchased by other organizations (POST) need to be managed?
- Will MROSD assume full responsibility and assume all liabilities for all of POST holdings including their riparian maintenance agreements with the state?
- How much is the District tax payers prepared to spend to abate the Butano Creek flooding of Pescadero and restore it to a forty year flood level, as it was when POST signed the stewardship contact with the State?
- Will MROSD tax payers restore the Gusti family farm irrigation water rights from the Arroyo Leon that was just taken away by POST after 90 years of continued use? Or will the District pay the Gusti family not to farm
the Johnston Ranch after over 50 years?
- Will MROSD current tax payers provide the tens of millions of dollars to clean up the POST owned 250 acre Johnston Ranch illegal landfill ?
- How much will the District tax payers spend annually to protect POST's new 4200 acre Rancho Corral de Tierra from destructive off road vehicles recreational use, poaching, vegetative fuel management and illegal
marijuana cultivation (80% found on public lands)?
- How much wildfire liability insurance does the District carry in the event that one of their Russian Ridge Open Space Preserves type burns gets out of control as in New Mexico? $1 Billion? $3 Billion?
- The Districts Wildland Urban Green Belt consists of 46,000 of vegetative fuel…..how many acres are under a ``fire fuel management plan"? What is the total annual expenditure by the District on watershed
fire fuel management? How many acres had a control burn in 2000, 2001 & 2002?
- Has the District informed their current tax paying members that MROSD will seek no taxes from the Coastal annexation area and that the use of Eminent Domain only applies to the urban bayside District areas landowners?
- Will the District seek an ``Advisory Vote" from their current tax paying members before of acquiring all of POST's environmental liabilities such toxic landfill & oil well clean up?
- How many of the over 100,000 feral pigs in Santa Cruz, Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties has MROSD abated in calendar year 2000, 2001 and 2002?